Detail Oriented, Highly Responsive And Dedicated To My Clients

Can I move out of my house before I file for divorce?

On Behalf of | Nov 7, 2018 | Abandonment, divorce, parenting time, Moving

Client’s are often concerned that they will lose rights if they move out of the marital home (often called abandonment). Our first priority is always your safety. If you feel that your safety or the safety of your minor children is in jeopardy, we urge you to move out and find yourself a safe environment to live in, even if it is on a temporary basis.

Moving out can often ease some of the tension in the household and help the two parties work towards the goal of how they are going to co-parent once their divorce is finalized.

If you do decide to move out, we suggest discussing it with your attorney ahead of time and having a plan in place for parenting time and custody arrangements.

The biggest problem we see with moving out is where one parent moves out and leaves behind the minor children with the other party. If this is the case, you should contact an attorney to immediately get a temporary custody and parenting time order in place. Every case is different but as a general rule, you don’t want to go without seeing your children for long periods of time.

This article should not be construed as legal advice. Every case is different.Talk to your attorney today about any concerns you have regarding moving out of your house. Call Lashier Law, PLLC today at 586-333-4686 or schedule your appointment online.